Limited Run Games are giving Star Wars and Monkey Island classics physical re-releases
Limited Run Games have courted quite a following for giving digital-only games a boxed copy run, even showing the now-dead PlayStation Vita some love in the run up to E3 2019. During their presentation, however, they fired off a few more proton torpedoes: classic LucasArts games.
As rounded up by The Star Wars Underworld, Limited Run are partnering with Lucasfilm to re-release physical editions of 17 classic LucasArts games.
It’s a nostalgia-packed uppercut comprising 13 Star Wars games and 4 The Secret of Monkey Island point-and-click adventures. While the games are digitally preserved across stores such as GOG.com, some of these games have gone decades without seeing another physical release.
Limited Run says they’ll be coming out in “elaborate Collector’s Edition packages” but doesn’t go into any details.
Would they come in the big-box format of the early ‘90s? Would it come with manuals and hint books, chock full of additional lore, illustrations and behind-the-scenes insight? Would it have, for laughs and giggles, Monkey Island’s Dial-A-Pirate code wheel used as copy protection?
Perhaps not everything, but Limited Run are pretty good at tugging on heartstrings with old-school cool. Check out how they sold John Romero’s Sigil (the “unofficial spiritual successor” to Ultimate Doom).
Or my personal favorite, this Frog Fractions 2 bonanza:
Here’s the full list of announced games. Yes, they are making cartridges for those older systems. And yes, that is the made-in-Singapore Rocketbirds in there.
- Star Wars (NES, Game Boy)
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS4)
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)
- Star Wars Episode I: Racer (PC, N64)
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (NES, Game Boy)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight (PC)
- Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 – Jedi Outcast (PC)
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge (PS4)
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault (PC)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (PC, N64)
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (PC)
- Star Wars: X-Wing (PC)
The Secret of Monkey Island
- The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC)
- Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge (PC)
- The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
Other announced games
- Atari Flashback Classics (Vita)
- Atooi Collection (3DS)
- Bad North (Switch)
- Blaster Master Zero (Switch)
- Blazing Chrome (Switch, PS4)
- Corpse Killer (PS4)
- Damascus Gear Operation Osaka (Vita)
- Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo (Vita)
- Dark Devotion (Switch, PS4)
- DEADBOLT (Vita)
- Double Switch (Switch)
- Freedom Planet (Switch, PS4)
- Guacamelee! (Vita)
- Hover (PS4)
- Mercenary Kings (PS4)
- Metal Slug 3 (Vita)
- Night in the Woods (Switch, PS4)
- Papers Please (Vita)
- Pix the Cat (Vita)
- Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (Switch, PS4)
- realMyst (Switch)
- Red Faction (PS4)
- Revenant Dogma (Vita)
- Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (Vita)
- Rocketbirds 2: Evolution (Vita)
- Rogue Legacy (Switch)
- Shenmue III Collector’s Edition (PC, PS4)
- Super Meat Boy (Switch, PS4, Vita)
- Super Mutant Alien Assault (Vita)
- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Vita)
- Transistor (Switch, PS4)
- Turok (Switch)
- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Switch)
It all starts on June 28, beginning with Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and Star Wars.
Check out the full 42-minute showcase if you have the time. It’s no Devolver Digital but you’ve got to admire the effort.
Images: Limited Run Games